Flower arrangements are one such thing that is popular for all sorts of occasions and are always greatly appreciated. The mere presence of flowers changes the entire atmosphere of our surroundings, doesn’t matter how messed up it is, like a Bachelor’s house. But arranging flowers is not as easy as it looks. There is planning, purpose, and heaps of creativity to do so. So, for all those who are on their way to impress their lovers or guests through an epic flower decoration, I have something for you: the most practical way to arrange flowers like a pro. And since all these ways are tried and tested, you will get success.
Prepping Your Flowers and Foliages.
Before we learn about flower arrangement, let me give you a few tips on preparing your flowers and foliage.
- Always buy the best quality flowers and foliage, as they have much more shelf life than the cheaper counterparts. The first thing after you buy flowers is to prepare the materials and equipment to ensure it doesn’t have bacteria. For that, take some bleach and a little water to make a mild solution to rinse and clean all buckets and vases where you will place the flowers.
- For healthy flowers and foliage, you have to ensure that there is good care of the stem by your side. To do so, remove all the thorns, excess leaves, or any surface knots present. But make sure you are not tearing the skin of the stems since it will encourage bacterial deposition into the flower. Next, make sure, you cut the stem with a knife below the water line to increase the flower’s ability to take in water, keeping it fresh for hours.
- Always put some flower food additives so that the flowers flourish for more time. To do so, make a solution of clean water and additives and then top up the water leveling according to the arrangement. In case, you are not adding any food additives, make sure you change the water every few hours, as the decaying leaves poison the water reservoir.
- One of the common problems for flowers (especially roses) is their tendency to droop. So, to restore them to their alert state, straighten them and wrap the flower and stem together tightly in the bunch, cleaning the stems in boiling water for five minutes. After five minutes, instantly soak them in cold water for two or three hours. It is the best method to avoid drooping.
Now that you have prepped the desirable flowers, let us move towards a few tips to arrange flowers.
How To Arrange Flowers?
The first thing you need to do is create an outline or boundary of flower arrangement through Greenery. That means you can select a variety of leafy stems to create a boundary so that your flowers fit inside perfectly. The best ones for this purpose are Italian ruscus or leatherleaf and even pittosporum to create a beautiful green periphery, contrasting with any kind of flower.
Now, as you create a desirable shape through the green circumference or boundary, let us use the colour banding method to fill the flowers. Don’t worry if you haven’t heard it already. Before I tell you how to apply it, please divide your flowers into three categories- small, medium, and large.
To arrange flowers through this technique, you have to insert medium-sized flowers of similar colour into this boundary of Greenery, followed by a second opposite band of a different variety of flowers. To make my point more clear, consider you have white Daisies and Daylilies. Now, as you arrange five to six daisies like a cluster (it is your choice whether you wish to make a double straight line from them or a circular cluster), daylilies follow them into a similar pattern to give a better contrast. You can choose from any other flower, even wild ones. In order to create a unified pattern, work these bands (whatever you created) from opposite top corners across one another, so that their diagonally opposite base corner is parallel, although they don’t have to follow a straight line. These bands form the second layer of the arrangement. Once you complete the four top corners of the greenery with different clusters of flowers, it is time to insert the key flowers in the arrangement. The best way to do so is to create a zig-zag line to emphasize the shape of the positioning. However, please understand that this central flower is the focal point of your flower arrangement. So, you can use six large head flowers to do so. Finally, add detailed flowers to fill in any gaps and give your arrangement depth. Also, note that too many flowers destroy the impact of the arrangement, so you arrange flowers while making sure that each flower head has enough space to stand out against the frame of greenery, which serves to highlight its individual character.
The final task of this arrangement is to walk through it from every angle. It means you have to check from sideways. Wherever you see an unbalanced vibe, you can fix it up. Check for the water level, and your flower arrangement is ready.
Now, as this section completes, it is time to see some flower arrangements through examples.
Examples of Flower Arrangement Through Shapes.
1. Round Flower Arrangement.
A round floral look is a popular arrangement, used by almost everyone, and has the simplicity to create a real impact as a table center decoration.
Steps to Create a Round Floral Arrangement.
- To arrange flowers in circular manner, first wet a floral foam brick and then place it in the core of a plastic round dish. Take some floral tape and firmly secure the foam into the dish. Now, you have to make sure that you can see approximately 3-4cm of foam above the rim of the vessel.
- Now, let us start the arrangement. The primary consideration before doing the floral arrangement is to check the size. Place this, for instance, on a round table. In this case, the outline of the flowers should be about a third of its diameter (the table), and the height of the arrangement should be below your guests’ eyeline so that they can see each other clearly. It will help you in determining the length and size of your outline shape and size and quantity of flowers to be used for flower arrangement. As you do so, create an outline. Cut five stems of Italian ruscus (or any other plant) to length, and stick them into the sides of the foam to form a five-pointed shape, as if it was a pentagon, but keep the stems pointing towards each corner.
- Now, continue to create a circular outline with the Italian ruscus and leatherleaf. Now, you have formed the greenery of the floral arrangement. Insert a flat leather leaf into the foam with varying angles, just to show that you created a movement within the design. When you have completed the outline, disguise the foam base with some greenery. Also, check the arrangement from every angle, including the top to ensure balance and symmetry.
- As you formed the greenery, let us now add flowers. The first middle-sized flowers will be inserted into the foam in the diagonal band (similar to the previous step). Now, insert another flower (still in bud) with a different diagonal band to create an outline, and the flowers in bloom to fill the center of the display.
- And finally, add your key flower throughout the arrangement rather than a diagonal band. Lastly, add small-sized flowers to fill your view of the floral arrangement.
As you follow these steps to arrange flowers, at the end, you will have a perfect English-style arrangement for your table.
If you wish to elaborate on this arrangement, add a colour-coordinated candle to the center of the display. You can create a display with fruit and ribbons, that will infuse your entire space with sweet and natural fragrance. Before you begin to add fruits, add a house plant polish with egg white diluted in water. You can also distinguish the bottom of your arrangement with some freshly baked buns and bread.
2. Triangular Flower Arrangement.
A triangular arrangement is a beautiful symmetrical arrangement, that creates an individuality in the surroundings.
Steps to Create a Triangular Floral Arrangement.
- Wet half a foam brick and use a floral tap to stick it into the display dish. You can use a Roman vase or any other tall vessel for the purpose. Now, the first step will remain similar to the previous example.
- To create a lush green backdrop, you will need some Italian ruscus. Begin by cutting a piece of Italian ruscus to a suitable length based on the arrangement’s location and the size of your vase. Insert this piece at position 1, angling it slightly backward. Next, cut two more stems, each two-thirds the length of the first, and insert them at positions 2 and 3, angling them downwards. Finally, cut another stem to one-third the length of the first and insert it at position 4.
- Once you have a rough outline, it’s time to build the back wall of the arrangement. Use Italian ruscus, leatherleaf, and pittosporum to create a flat, triangular shape. From 1 to 2 and 3, build up the triangle with Italian ruscus and leatherleaf stems. From 2 to 4, follow the shape of a bow to create an outline that looks like a bow. To avoid overloading the display, angle the leaves slightly backward at the wall. In addition, to increase the width of the arrangement, create an outline that is longer between 1 and 4 to allow for more flowers to be positioned.
- Now, take the stems of the flower to create a diagonal band of colour in the arrangement. Next, take the major flower to create a zigzag formation in the vase. And finally finish it with small flowers to fill the gaps in the triangular floral arrangement.
By now, you might have understood how to arrange flowers and its different forms. All you need to do is experiment through focus and love. Keep in mind that you can always use a variety of wildflowers, fruits, ribbons, and other accessories to make it more subtle. But do not exaggerate it, disrupting the symmetry and balance. I hope to see nice flowers by your table throughout this week.